And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Time flies...when you're having fun?

A new semester is under way and I can't believe I'm already in my second semester of college!! It's crazy. The past few weeks I've spent at home have been pretty boring. I love my family but no one else was around so I watched way too much tv and spent way too much time on facebook. The past week, I really got into a funk. I had/have no energy. It is the most unbelievable feeling to go to the store and once you get to the door, to be too exhausted to actually shop. My mom is an iron deficient anemic so there is a chance that is also my problem. I've been so wiped that I've had trouble keeping conversations with people that are normally so easy to talk to. I feel terrible barely talking but I can't even think of things to say. I hate one and two word answers more than anything, and recently I've found myself guilty of this. At least having to get ready back to go back to school gave me something to do. Of course, I waited until last minute. Shopping and packing all took place Saturday. We were supposed to leave at twelve to be back in Delaware by two, but we didn't end up leaving until two (oops). I dropped my car off and went out to dinner with my parents after we picked up my books. Then I got all moved in and finally got to see some of my friends.

I'm going to be honest,  I am homesick. As bored as I was at home, I love my family. I miss my dad. I miss my brother. I miss my dad. I miss my dog. But most of all, I miss my mom. Even if we didn't always get along perfectly, she's my mommy. I love her more than anything and she is ALWAYS there for me. This break, I think she's finally come to terms with my long term plans for my life. Pretty much, we both realized that after college, chances are I won't be coming back home. That means any time spent at home becomes even more pressure than it was before. Anyone who has come to this realization knows what a big thing it is. Yes, I get long breaks and come home for summer, but more than half of the year, I'm not home. I don't get to see her, hear her voice, eat her cooking, go shopping together, anything. Yes, I can call her, but when you're used to always having your mom, for 18 years of your life, this is huge. And it is a lot to take in.

But, one thing that is going to change my college experience (hopefully for the better) is recruitment. This weekend kicks off panhellenic recruitment and I could not be more excited. Anyone who knows me well knows that while I do like college, I am not quite "having a blast". I have a few friends but not enough that I really feel close with and barely any that I trust. Having amazing friends is something that has always been important to me. And see, here's the big thing. I'm in a relationship. Not the typical "I'm with my boyfriend every minute of the day" relationship. Not an "I see him a few times a week" or "I see him every weekend" relationship. I date a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy. I love my boyfriend and he means the world to me, but I cannot be one of those girls who makes her life revolve around her boyfriend. It is impossible in this kind of relationship. (Disclaimer: Not that I would do this if I dated someone else, I'm just trying to make a point) Having your best friend far away and with restrictions and not-so-great communication is not fun. I need a group of girls that I feel at home with. I am so so so excited to start this amazing experience and meet some wonderful women.

As everyone knows, last night was the super bowl. I am a Philadelphia girl at heart which obviously means the Eagles are my team. Since they didn't make it into the Superbowl, I had a dilemma. It is common knowledge that Eagles fans despise the Giants. Normally, I do. But this year was different. My uncle was diagnosed with brain cancer last year. He has three daughters and five grandchildren (though he is married to my mom's younger sister). This was a huge shock to my family. Recently, he hasn't been doing too well. He was unable to make it to his benefit two weekends ago. This may seem irrelevant to the Super Bowl, but what I'm getting as is that he is from north jersey. He's a giants fan. Die hard, one of the biggest fans you'll ever meet. Normally, we'd go to his house and you could feel the adrenaline rushing when a game is on. This game was huge for him. As scary as it is to say it, we don't know if he'll be around next year for the Super Bowl (or if his g-men will be in it). To have his favorite team win the Super Bowl made me so happy. I can't imagine how excited he was and I only hope he was able to see the game. He's an amazing guy and I pray he pulls through this.

2 comments:

  1. I 100% understand the feelings towards your mother. I am beyond close to mine and it's such a struggle being away from her. I'm here if you need someone who truly understads homesickness and missing their mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel! I'm dealing with it a little better since I'm distracted! But I will definitely take you up on that when it gets bad again. Guess I need to try to prepare for the future, right?

      Delete